I know, it's been a while. But, I've at least uploaded a few pictures! Again, I'm short on time-the internet SUCKS today (I am out of the office today. I am trying to work from home/a cafe on Tuesdays so that I can **try** to get MY work done-e.g. my analyses, dissertation, proposals, etc. So far, this is only the second day I've been able to avoid the office since I've been here).
In addition to being really, really busy at work (which most of the time is a good thing....however, recently it's been very stressful and tiresome. It seems the clinic staff on my study don't actually like working, which means they don't like me for asking them to do their job. I'm getting a little sick of all the politics/battles but at the end of the day, my feelings just don't matter more than the women in our study who NEED care who AREN'T getting it unless I do the politics/battles), we are really, really busy having fun:
Two weeks ago we rented a car and headed up country to rock climb at Hell's Gate (see awesome pictures of me clinging to the sheer wall for dear life...joking, I was busy occupied trying to figure out where to put my hands/feet and motivate my muscles to work that I didn't even realize was a hundred feet in the air) and camp at Lake Naivasha. We had an awesome time, I feel like I say it after everything, but it was the best time (yet). Damian is a really good driver-driving here is like nothing you could even imagine. First, the obvious, they drive on the other side of the road. Second, there is no organization or rules or anything. Third, there is insane traffice in Nairobi and a million turn abouts. Fourth, matatus are CRAZY (they will drive a million kilometers an hour in the wrong lane, on a cliff-side road, downhill, with out on ounce of interest in cars coming around the sharp turns ahead of them) CRAZY. Fifth, there are police check-points, which means "bribe-points" throughout the city and along the drive up country. We manage to avoid these entirely, yes!! Rock climbing was cut short by monsoon rains but we managed to beg our way into Hell's Gate at resident prices so we were happy to have the rain (in case you haven't heard, Kenya is under severe drought but is expecting an flood-provoking El nino year). Our campsite on the lake was really nice-clean bathrooms/showers, quite tenants and the restaurant was awesome (not the food here ever disappoints). After a good night sleep, we took a morning boat ride to see the hippos and feed the eagles. Again, check the pictures. SWEET. An eagle 3 feet from our boat swooping in for a fish we threw to it!
This past weekend wasn't as adventurous but we still had a blast....we went to the MAMA's (the MTv African Music Awards), hosted by Wycelf with guest performances by Akon and alllll of the top African artists (mostly hip-hop). Oh, and we also went to a HUGE (used) clothing market-it was so impressive-nicest clothes we've seen and really great deals (well, good for mzungu's, after bargaining and bargaining and bargaining). For example, I got a pair of like-new Italian leather heels for 100ksh (1.50 USD) and Damian got some fancy french tie for 100ksh. We also bought (super original) clothes for our hippy costumes for our upcoming Halloween parties.
And, this coming weekend will be yet again "the best time I've had yet" because we are going to Uganda for an East Africa Fogarty reunion-all of us from Tanzania (2), Kenya (5) and Uganda (2) are going to white water raft The Nile (which has some of the best class 5 rapids in the world, that will soon be going since they are damming the river) in Jinja and party in Kampala. We, the Nairobi Crew, are taking a 12 hour bus to Jinja/Kampala-should be a really pretty ride but clearly very long. Given the insanely dangerous driving, we opted out of the night bus and paid a ton for a "luxury" coach ($22 USD each way!). Looking forward to getting out of NBO and to some Fogarty love!
Okay, that's all for now. I know you all are wondering how Damian is doing...still employed (and, yes, he's been paid, real money) and still loving it! He has his bad TIA days, as we all do, but he's reallllly gotten the hang of this Nairobi thing (bargaining/getting things right/fixed/taking matatus to work). Time for me to say good-bye...Damian and I are going to negotiate more for a car that we want to buy-everything is a process. In Kenya, patience isn't just a virtue. It's the KEY to sanity.
October 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did I just see you write the phrase "Damian is a really good driver" ???
ReplyDeleteExcellent, captured forever in the internet superhighway.
Of course Damian's a good driver, he's only totalled 2 cars-
ReplyDeleteish
FYI...I totally used my AIM account to comment, I think it's been 3 or more years since I've used that
ReplyDelete