Hey guys, so I never seem to find the time to blog. Things at work are busy, which is great. I am working as the data manager on the Couples Against Transmission study (which is the study where my dissertation research is embedded). Data is extremely behind right now so I spend my free time doing entries. I am also on study recruitment (Mondays) and in clinic seeing participants one day a week (Wednesdays). Next week I will be starting an additional project with the Ministry of Health on adolescents and sexually transmitted infections, including adolescent Syphilis, Herpes and HIV.
The Couples Counseling Center, the clinic where the CAT study is taking place, has so many similarities to the public clinics in the States. Too little space, too little money, too few clinicians, too few supplies, too few drugs, too many patients. One striking difference are the patients-their health, their cleanliness and also their commitment to the study and to their partners. Our participants are "committed" couples where one partner has HIV and the other was uninfected at study enrollment. They come to the clinic and wait allllllll day to be seen, after traveling for up to 2 hours or from difficult places like Kibera (Africa's second largest slum). They are pretty remarkable...although it's hard seeing their health deteriorate, seeing their report of cervical cancer, or not knowing their infant's HIV status. One thing that is already bothering me is the really slow turn around on lab results...for example, the several women how have low or high-grade cervical lesions but have not had follow-up biopsies or treatment after several months (which is more than enough time for their lesions to progress to cancer!). It's just one of many things that rubs on me and the other clinicians.
I've been training with Lucy, my fogarty twin, which has worked out very well....we make a good team and she's a great doctor (and is very considerate of me). It really just makes me want to learn Swahili...we have a tutor who is going to get in touch next week. Hopefully we'll begin our lessons soon. Also, we should be getting into our apartment soon....after weeks and weeks of repairs and cleaning while we live out of suitcases in a vacant apartment, we are hoping to move in on Sunday or Monday. We are going camping in Naivasha Saturday and Sunday with some Canadian friends of ours (the ones we went to the elephant orphanage with). I'm SO excited to see more of Kenya.
So, this week has just been full of work, except for our day off for the census. We went an Ethiopian restaurant last night that was life changing...though after attacking the dishes like a vultures the nigira expanded in our stomachs and we were insanely full. After a few Tuskers (the Kenyan beer...it's great. Like a lager that is slightly sweet.), we went to bed happy. Now to a friends house for dinner tonight before camping tomorrow.
Okay, guess I should get to work. I'll catch up after our camping this weekend! Can't wait to see visitors over here!!
August 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm with Grandma and Grandpa right now showing them how to post a comment to your blog. They love reading about all of your adventures and want to be able write back to yyou.
ReplyDeleteOk now dad wants to see how you do this.
ReplyDeleteHi. This is Grandpa. I'm trying to comment.
ReplyDeleteHi Anne and Damian, Kathy showed me how to do this so will send a short note to see how i learned from my teacher. Love you both and miss you more.
ReplyDeleteLove Grandpa